Service as Action
Service and Action is an integral component of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program at Abbotsford Middle School. Starting within the classroom and extending beyond it, Service and Action aims to encourage responsible, caring participation in the local environment and in the wider world. Our emphasis is on making connections between the things students learn at school and in their surroundings, as well as thinking about what students can give the community and the benefits the community can bring to you. Once students have gained awareness about the community, the next step is to take action and to become in involved in Service and Action activities and projects.
The goal of service and action is for students to become more aware of their own strengths and areas of growth; undertake challenges that develop new skills; discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities; show determination and commitment to activities; develop international-mindedness through awareness of global issues; consider who will and who will not benefit from their actions.
At Abbotsford Middle, our service and action program emphasizes the development of self-motivation, personal growth, and authentic engagement. There are many service as action opportunities organized for students at our school. Grade 6, 7, and 8 students are expected to complete reflections for their service activities. Students complete these reflections online through google classroom under the supervision of their homeroom teachers. The Gr. 8 Community Project represents the culmination of MYP at our school. All Grade 8 students complete the Community Project which focuses on service as action.
There are a number of service opportunities the students can get involved in at Abbotsford Middle:
- Adopt a Street Program for community cleanup
- Partner with feeder elementary schools for various activities
- Volunteer at the Food Bank to help sort and organize donated items
- Participate in organized activities with seniors at local senior homes
- Work with the Kiva Foundation which is a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through the lending of money to alleviate poverty throughout the world
- Volunteer with the Gleaners whose purpose is to make dried soup mix and apple snacks for distribution
- Builders Club is open to all students in Gr. 6, 7, and 8 who are interested in helping out around the school, community, and world doing service projects and developing leadership skills
- Athletic Council, Grade 8 students, volunteer with the school’s athletic department where they referee various games either at Abbotsford Middle or at elementary schools
- Husky Heroes, Gr. 7 & 8 student leaders, who efficiently plan, organize, and implement a variety of school events to build community and cultural awareness in our school
- WEB Leaders, Gr. 8 student leaders, who mentor and work with grade 6 students to make their transition to middle school a positive one